I’m a little behind on my posts right now (!), but despite this – I MUST tell you about ‘semlor’.
Last Tuesday it was ‘Fettisdag’ – in the UK known as ‘Shrove Tuesday’ when we eat pancakes – but here in Sweden, where it directly translates to ‘Fat Tuesday’, they eat ‘semlor’.
Fattening – but delicious!
For 10 – 12 buns
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ammonium carbonate
900ml all purpose flour
1 beaten egg for brushing over dough
And for the filling
100g sweet almonds
100ml milk or cream
bread from inside roll
For the garnish
200ml whipping cream
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Melt butter and add milk
- Let mixture stand until lukewarm
- Dissolve yeast in some of milk mixture
- Add rest of liquid, salt, sugar and egg
- Mix ammonium carbonate in to flour, and add to liquid mixture
- Mix in enough flour to make dough pliable (until it loosens from side of bowl)
- Cover and rise until double for 20 – 30 minutes
- When ready, turn dough on to floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Shape in to 10 – 12 round balls.
- Place on greased baking tray, cover, and leave to rise for about 20 minutes.
- Brush with beaten egg
- Bake buns in centre of oven for 5 – 10 mins at 475 F (250 C).
- Remove from oven, cover and leave to cool
- Scald, peel and grind almonds
- Slice a lid off each bun and make a well inside each one
- Make filling by mixing the bread from inside the rolls with almonds, milk or cream, and sugar
- Refill each well with almond filling and decorate with whipped cream
- Replace lids on buns and garnish with powdered sugar